Monday, April 26, 2010

Watching the Weather Channel


Watching the Weather Channel

Betty and I must be on the same wavelength. Before I read her blog, I had all ready written my weather blog. Weather and the climate can sure wreck havoc on our routine. We’ve had some very nasty things happening out there.

It’s pretty amazing when you think about it … weather has had it’s own channel since 1982. The words used to describe the daily forecast can be very powerful: severe, scorching, balmy. Each one of those adjectives can evoke a strong mental image of what the day will be like.

For me, flipping to the weather channel always fills that empty gap when I can’t find another thing to watch on any of my 400 channels. It not only relaxes me, but makes me feel better when I’m having one of those woo is me days. You know those days when your credit card breaks in half at the sale of the century. I go home and tune in to the weather channel and . . . right in front of my eyes, on my TV screen, the roof gets blown off of someone’s house. I’m glad it’s not me. Life could be worse.

Weather often sets my mood. Which kind of weather does my muse prefer? I live in South Florida where the sun shines most of the time. I can’t deny that deep blue skies and a patio bathed in sunshine can be very inspiring. Weather like that helps me give life to my characters.

On the other hand – overcast wet days often provide the break I need from obligations. I can sit at my computer and type away (providing a lightening storm doesn’t knock out the electricity).

When do you do your best writing?

visit my website zeldabenjamin.com



4 comments:

Jessica Ferguson said...

I'm a weather watcher. I think I inherited that trait from my dad. When I was growing up, the last thing he did every night before heading off to bed was to walk our yard, check out the weather. When he was a baby, a tornado hit their home and he was found in a rose bush. He was always very anxious during bad weather... and so am I. :)

I didn't know the weather channel has been around since '82. Your post caused me to compare the very professional weather channel to our local weather 'kids.' (We're considered a training ground for young news and weather people). Guess our local bunch could be compared to a first draft.

I'm enjoying the Avalon blog and I've always enjoyed Avalon books. Thanks!

Zelda Benjamin said...

Weather is a great conversation topic. Nice to meet another weather channel addict.

Elisabeth Rose said...

I put weather into my books.
My poor characters endure storms, rain, flooding and excessive heat. Plus occasionally a nice balmy spring day. LOL

My Dad's a farmer and he's kept records of rainfall and temps for the last fifty plus years.

Zelda Benjamin said...

Lis- It's great to torment our characters with bad weather.
I guess you dad loves those rainy days too.