Saturday, February 27, 2010

THANKS, BUT THIS ISN'T FOR US by Jessica Page Morrell

I went to get my hair cut on Saturday, at a new place. I was the first customer, and probably the only cut of the day since the hairdresser was booked all afternoon for school dance ‘hair dos’.

So why was that a problem? Her scissors were sharp. Her need to create was yearning for a target. She sheared my head like an onion…one with roots sticking out.
Upon seeing the results of her work, the hairdresser whipped out…I know, bad choice of words, because by this time I was ready to run out screaming. Anyway, she pulled out a new product. A very sticky substance, [good for gluing hair back on my head?] one that could give me a brave new style…

What does this have to do with writing? Isn’t this what we do when our stories don’t hang together? We stick in extras …conflict, motivation, characters…the list is endless. And then we get that familiar rejection letter. “Thanks, but this isn’t for us.” Sound familiar?

Then you know why this book jumped off the bookstore shelf and right into my hands…

NAME OF BOOK: Thanks, But This Isn’t For Us.
A [sort of] Compassionate Guide To Why Your Writing Is Being Rejected, by Jessica Page Morrell.

WHY I READ THIS BOOK: The title.

LEARNED: Excellent tips.

WAS IT HELPFUL: [1] for-Routine up to [5] for-Ah ha Moment
I’ll give this book a 5.

COLOR CODING: [underlined in a different color each time I’ve read it] [1] a New Book [5] Trying to master
[1] New…with numerous sticky tabs already.

TAKE AWAY: Keep this book close. Read often.

Have you read this book? What was your response?

4 comments:

Elisabeth Rose said...

Now Carol! Where's the photo of you with your new haircut? :)

Carol Hutchens said...

LOL!!!
It's so short you can't see...sob..

Lis, thanks for posting. Even one message lets us know we aren't totally wasting our time...

Joselyn Vaughn said...

Haven't read it, but putting it on my purchase list. Thanks.

Carol Hutchens said...

Welcome, Joselyn!
Thanks so much for stopping by...if you get a chance, browse through it at the bookstore. I think you'll be pleased.