Thursday, January 21, 2010

Meet Shelley Mosley

For me, one of the perks of being part of this blog has been getting to know some of the other Avalon authors a little better. I recently had the pleasure of asking Shelley Mosley some questions about her writing. Here are her answers. I think you'll enjoy them as much as I did.

QUESTION: What prompted you to become a writer?

I can’t remember not writing. My first published pieces were in the Az Republic’s “Boys’ and Girls’ Republic” when I was seven or eight.

Q: I know that you’re part of a writing team. How does that work?

I write romantic comedies with Deborah Mazoyer. Our pen name is Deborah Shelley. We write side-by-side, and read aloud to each other to make sure the dialog is natural and the rhythm and mood of the piece are what we intended.

Q: What part of writing do you find most satisfying?

The part of writing I find most satisfying is the writing itself.

Q: What part do you find most difficult?

The marketing. Nowadays, publishers expect writers to be the principal marketers of their works. This is an extremely time-consuming process.

Q: Tell us something about your Avalon book, Marriage 101.

Marriage 101, our fifth book (we also have a novella) was named a BookPage Notable Title, and has also been re-published in large type. Here’s what it’s about:

Danny Riccuci thinks divorce is hereditary. After all, his family could be the poster child for failed marriages. The only exception is his sister, Maria. And she’s married to the church. Danny’s so sure he carries this divorce gene that he’s never bothered to challenge the family curse. Rachel Levin’s a teacher of human relationships. She knows all the scientific reasons for mutual attraction. She knows the basis of the human needs that drive people into relationships. She knows the statistics of almost every aspect of her field. In fact, Rachel knows everything about human relationships–except what it’s actually like to be in one. Together, Danny and Rachel learn there’s a lot more to love than what’s in a textbook, and that sometimes, genetics are highly over-rated.

Q: What other projects do you have in the works?

Deb and I have another romantic comedy in the words. I also write non-fiction, and am working on one about library management.

Q: What other authors do you especially admire?

Anyone who has the tenacity to finish a manuscript!

Q: What do you do when you’re not writing?

Doing things with my family. Doing things with my friends. Teaching a memoirs class at church. Reviewing books. Watching movies. Playing with my cats. Traveling.

Q: Do you have a set schedule for writing or do you squeeze it in whenever you can?

I write several hours a day, but they aren’t always the same hours.

Q: What refreshes you creatively?

Being around other people. Nature. Chocolate.

www.deborahshelley.com
www.myspace.com/shellllleymosley

Thanks, Shelley, for sharing your version of the writing life.

Sandy Cody

2 comments:

Loretta Brabant said...

What a great interview! And I love the title of your next book, "Marriage 101." How clever.

Jane Myers Perrine said...

How great to get to know you better! Please tell me more about your cats. My husband said I'd be a crazy cat lady if I had a few more than our two.

Jane