Monday, October 12, 2009

School Reunion --- Elisabeth Rose

Last weekend I had my 40 yr school reunion. The class of 1969.
Our year was the first to graduate from that high school so we were a small and relatively close crew -- only 65 of us. Of those 65, sadly 3 have passed away but we had an attendance of 50 with a couple of heartfelt apologies from those unable to attend!

What a blast seeing those people again. We spent almost every day together for 6 years and many of us attended the same primary schools. I’ve known one woman since we were four and there were five others there who attended my primary school.

It’s amazing how little some people have changed physically. The boys in general had aged more than the girls probably due to expanding waistlines and hair loss but some were instantly recognisable. Characters hadn’t altered much—the class clowns were still the class clowns, the quiet ones were still quiet, the vivacious girls are now vivacious women.

Some of our number have been very successful in a career sense but the wonderful thing was no-body cared who’d done what or hadn’t done what, we were all just thrilled to be there and see each other again. Those 40 plus years just fell away. For some their schooldays weren’t the happiest for all sorts of reasons but the bonds forged there come from a common experience which is irreplaceable and impossible to share on the same level with anyone else.

From chatting to other friends, this class of 1969 seems to be unique in that we had no cliques or factions, no bullies or snobs. Of course we all had our particular groups of friends, some of whom have kept in touch over the years but by that last year we all knew each other quite well. It may have been because we were such a small group or because we were all new to a brand new school. Who knows? Whatever it was everyone who came last Saturday and again on Sunday for a casual ‘recovery’ lunch said the same thing. “I walked into that function room a little nervous but as soon as I saw the familiar faces I was with friends again.”

We all voted for the next one to be in 5 years rather than 10.

How many school reunions have you been to?

10 comments:

I.J. Parnham said...

I have to say I'm quite envious of this tale, as School Reunions are most definitely not a British thing. I've never heard of one being held, know anyone who's been to one, and I'm fairly sure if anyone were to organize one it'd be a surprise if any more than the organizer turned up!

Odd really. Clearly it's a very good tradition. I lost touch with everybody from school within about 5 minutes of walking through the gates for the last time... so it goes.

Elisabeth Rose said...

I find that extremely interesting Ian. How very strange that no-one organises school reunions. Brits have renunions for lots of other things though don't you?

Edna said...

I have only been to 1, that is the only one we ever had it was our 25th class of 1961, coming up on 49 this next year, I think only 2 of us have passed away but it was a small class in SC

mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

Beate Boeker said...

I'm invited to our 20th school-reunion next month and am still wondering if I should join. It's a few hours away by train, but the point is that I didn't feel very comfortable in my class - and when I went to the 10th reunion, thinking I had changed a lot and probably it was all due to me having been strange ten years ago, I found that it hadn't changed at all. I still felt excluded. Funny that you should post this, Lis, when I've been thinking about it for days!

Elisabeth Rose said...

As I said Beate, my high school experience seems to be unusual. Most people say what you've said--that they aren't all that keen to go back. If you do go you can always use it as research for characters and put those people who made you feel uncomfortable in a book.

I.J. Parnham said...

On the reunions for lots of other things question, again no. Or at least not that I'm aware of - perhaps everyone else is having lots of fun and it's just me!

Elisabeth Rose said...

Maybe I've read too much Anthony Powell, Ian. They're always having Old Boy's reunions or army squad reunions.

Tessa McDermid said...

I've never attended a high school reunion - partly because we moved too far away to make it feasible and I'm not sure how connected I would be with people. I'm thinking about going to a special one next year, partly because I can promote my books :).

College homecomings, though, I return every year. We were a small group there, it was a private college, and I know lots of people from various years. My parents met there, my husband and I met there, our oldest son is now a student there. Lots of connections. We were just there this weekend and it's fun to see friends and to think about where we've gone in life.

Jane Myers Perrine said...

Elisabeth--I just went to a reunion of my college sorority pledge class, the only reunion I've ever been to. I felt very much the way you did except there were only women there. I had such a good time and relived such wonderful memories. Thank you for bringing them back.

Jane Myers Perrine said...

Elisabeth--I just went to a reunion of my college sorority pledge class, the only reunion I've ever been to. I felt very much the way you did except there were only women there. I had such a good time and relived such wonderful memories. Thank you for bringing them back.